thelufias

2024 May 12 08:16:47
 :mom4: To All The Moms

vash99

2024 May 10 09:11:17
i figured i would try here first who better to ask than fellow artists

Radkres

2024 May 10 09:37:32
Have You tried Google? "Hands on head photo" and see if that triggers your memory?  :peek:

vash99

2024 May 09 11:19:09
im trying to recreate a pose from the 80sits a simple 2 quarters headshot of a woman loking at the camera both arms bent in front of her hands on her head for the life of me i cant remember how to do the pose

thelufias

2024 May 07 08:31:06
Gooooood Morning to everyone....:java: Ahhhhh

vash99

2024 May 06 10:50:12
a little

Radkres

2024 May 06 06:11:19
is it getting any better?  :coffeemaker:

vash99

2024 May 05 10:56:57
i tried during the infusion it didnt help

Radkres

2024 May 05 02:50:17
Have You Tried a Warm Compress  to see if that helps?

vash99

2024 May 05 01:28:09
no swelling just feels like my forearm is on fire

thelufias

2024 May 04 09:23:33
It's SATURDAY MORNING...Cartoon time with Marvin the Martian

thelufias

2024 May 04 08:24:32
I use to use Ice Packs to lesson the pain and swelling. Worked well.

vash99

2024 May 03 11:29:10
had chemo today this time the iv went into my hand so now my hand and arm hurts as a result of the chemo i can't wait till this is done

Fafnir

2024 May 03 06:33:28
 :c-cat:

thelufias

2024 May 02 09:17:51
It's a Rainy May Day in May..A good day for :java:

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Can We Keep Him? © Sydneykeys

TOTW

Soccertods Netherlands © Pommerlis

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 100010
  • Total Topics: 12320
  • Online Today: 1266
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Author Topic: Dryer Balls  (Read 709 times)

Offline DarkAngel

• Queen of Confusion
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Madness abounds so don't make me eat you.
    • Fantasies Realm
Dryer Balls
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:33:09 PM »
Dryer Balls

Invest in some felt dryer balls to cut down on drying time. They're  naturally antibacterial, and when doused with a bit of essential oil, a near perfect substitute for disposable dryer sheets. Natural, energy-efficient, and sweet smelling.

Materials:
100% wool yarn
Wool roving *** see note
Panty hose
Scissors
Washing machine

Directions:
1. Use the 100% wool yarn to create a yarn ball. Be sure to tuck the end of the yarn under one of the layers when the ball is the size you desire. (Remember, items shrink during the felting process, so be sure to make the ball larger than you want the final product. These will be the size of tennis balls in their final form.)

2. You can use the wool yarn ball as is to create the dryer ball, however, I like to add a thin layer of multi-colored bits of wool roving on top of the yarn ball.

3. Cut a leg off of a pair of panty hose and stuff the balls into the toe of the leg, Tie of the panty hose between each individual ball.

4. Throw the panty hose filled with yarn balls into a hot wash cycle in the washing machine, and then throw in the dryer.

5. Remove the balls from the nylons. If they are not felted as tightly as you'd like, throw back in the machines for one more round.

6. Once done, they'll be pretty balls of felted delight that will cut down on dryer time and act as natural dryer sheets. Drop a dollop of essential oil on "em if you'd like sweet smelling laundry.

****NOTE****
A wool roving is a piece of wool which has been combed, drawn into a clump, and then twisted slightly to hold the fibers together and to prepare them for spinning. Spinners who start with their own raw yarns can create rovings themselves, and they are also available commercially from companies which specialize in providing tools and supplies for spinners. In addition to being made from wool, rovings can also be made from cotton, silk, and other fibers which are used in the production of textiles.

To prepare a wool roving, the wool is combed to remove impurities, washed, carded to pull the fibers so that they are oriented in the same direction, and then gently twisted. Rovings can also be dyed; when yarn is dyed before it is spun, the color is deeper, and penetrates more fully. Rovings are generally around the length of a hand, and sometimes longer. The wool roving may also be looped back on itself to create a compact pile for storage.

When a wool roving is prepared, but not twisted, it is known as a sliver. Flattened rovings are known as batting. While rovings are generally used for spinning, they also have other uses; batting, for example, can be used to stuff things, and rovings can also be used to pad animal beds, or for various craft projects. Generally, rovings are very soft and fine, and they have a lofty, springy texture.

Some crafters like to spin their own yarns, but not to process wool from scratch, which is why it is possible to purchase prepared rovings from some wool companies. The advantage of homespun yarn is that the spinner can control the color, composition, width, and texture of the yarn. Some people also simply enjoy the spinning process, and the look of homespun yarn, which can vary from very smooth and even to more coarse and rough. It is also sometimes cheaper to spin one's own yarn.

People who want to learn to spin wool can sometimes take classes at colleges or art studios with textile departments, and it is also possible to apprentice with a skilled spinner. Learning to spin takes time, patience, and practice, but it can open up a whole new world of crafting for people who work with yarns. Many spinners learn the entire process for handling wool, from shearing to spinning finished yarn, although they may opt to start with a wool roving when they spin on their own, because wool processing is time consuming.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Fear not,
You are never alone,
I am there to comfort and guide you...
Always.