Fafnir

2024 Apr 24 07:38:45
 :havesum:

thelufias

2024 Apr 24 07:13:00
As long as it's not a lot...Chocolate always helps :havesum:

Pommerlis

2024 Apr 24 04:42:47
Second surgery done last monday. Does chocolate help?

thelufias

2024 Apr 23 10:19:20
It's Tootsie Tuesday...Enjoy the day

Fafnir

2024 Apr 22 05:20:09
 :havesum:

vash99

2024 Apr 20 10:45:19
i am it was chilly here to

thelufias

2024 Apr 20 02:40:22
Chilly here also Mary...Not sure about the "mebbe rain" part here.  Doesn't matter...I ain't going anywhere.

DarkAngel

2024 Apr 20 12:30:45
heloooooooo there on this chilly April day--it claims to mebbe rain, YUCK!  :c-cat:

thelufias

2024 Apr 20 08:06:41
Hang in there Vash

vash99

2024 Apr 18 10:21:20
im ok its lingering from the surgery from the surgery

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Homecoming © Mickale

TOTW

Let Me Make Something For You © (Sir Knight) rrkknight 3

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
  • Total Members: 245
  • Latest: Loogtao
Stats
  • Total Posts: 99463
  • Total Topics: 12305
  • Online Today: 663
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Author Topic: The Birth of Stormbringer!  (Read 44488 times)

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
  • Kianna will see you now
    • Jherriths Lair
Re: The Birth of Stormbringer!
« Reply #450 on: July 10, 2016, 10:09:38 AM »
First in the Scions of ... which is the first book in "The Heritage of Shannara cycle

She is one of the four Scions of Shannara  along with Par, Coll and Walker Boh

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Fighting Slave of Gor by John Norman

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
  • Recipient of "Grumpy Old Man" award.
« Reply #451 on: July 10, 2016, 02:05:10 PM »
Right, Walker Boh one arm Druid.    It starts sloowwllyyy  coming back, a little at a time!  I am going to get the books.  Honest!  I got antsy, couldn't make myself wait a little while longer.  I spent $6.48 for the Kindle copy of Ringworld.  Yeah, I too prefer the feel of real paper in my hands.  Just too impetuous I guess!
McG.   :java:

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #452 on: July 10, 2016, 02:09:42 PM »
J, are you actually remembering all this stuff, or looking it up as I ask???  Either way, thanks!

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #453 on: July 10, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »
Looking it up good sir as I barely remember what I had for dinner last night and I did read these volumes when they first came out

With the first coming out in 1977, then 1982, 1985 and Scions came out in 1990 and so forth so yes

we looked at my books.

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Offline dRaCX

• Draconis Hominus
  • Working It
    • ShareCG
« Reply #454 on: July 11, 2016, 01:05:21 AM »
@"J"

I have to ask...did you render that image with dredzilla on the new computer?

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #455 on: July 11, 2016, 05:45:58 AM »
No ... sorry ... bet she would look even better on it though ...  it was on the old one haven't transferred all the new products to the new one yet

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #456 on: July 11, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »
Looking it up good sir as I barely remember what I had for dinner last night and I did read these volumes when they first came out

With the first coming out in 1977, then 1982, 1985 and Scions came out in 1990 and so forth so yes

we looked at my books.

My son and I give each other heads ups on great movies and books, have since he left home for the Marine Corps.  When he got out, I picked him up at the airport and brought his (then) girlfriend.   A few weeks later, we built him a PC together, and while we were doing that is when we began giving each other fresh ideas on movies and books.  Sharing.  I figured it was pretty good stuff for a Father & Son day.  It was the first time he and I built a rig together, with his hands actually doing most of the work.  When he moved me into his home for a while, he got me to watch the movie Transformers.  It wasn't a cartoon like I thought it would be.  It was actually a pretty good movie.  Then he hands me this hardcover novel by Jim Butcher, The Dresden Files.  Book 3.  Don't remember anything except my son had 4 of the books (he buys only hard cover editions), and I read those 4 Dresden (Chicago Warlock For Hire!) books in a weekend.  That started a small avalanche of him trying me on various series.  Eragon, Shannara.  He handed me his boxed set of Firefly.  After watching the series I found that it had started, run and been shut down by Fox Studios for years and even had a FAN sponsored FILM made after it, Serenity, and it's still a dead series.  And Fox won't release the rights.  Then I find the film Eragon after reading Eragon and Eldest.  I now have the full cycle.  Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance.  For a youngster, he's a pretty good writer!  Ah but Shannara!  While the reads are fresh in mind, all the lands, the homes, villages, castles, forests, creatures and people seem so REAL.  Terry has a wonderfully cultured ability to bring that out in me!  The ability to imagine realistically and easily.  It takes a special style of wordcrafting to do that, I think.   The airship Jerle Shannara and the images it conjures up are the attraction to 1971s's stuff for me!   It needs its sails of tubes!  It needs the energy crystals to translate power from the sunlight!  It doesn't need gas bags!   The new movie PAN with Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard, the Never Ships that sail thru the air are similar I guess.  But they just look like old sailing ships.    So, I think that Brooks and Burroughs writings inspired 1971 a bit!
Well meantime, I am enjoying Ringworld.  I am only on page 40 something.  They haven't left Earth yet.  Getting there.  I've met the 4 central characters now.  'Splodin Suns!  LOL!
McG.   :java:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
« Reply #457 on: July 11, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »
IA! CTHULHU FTAGN!! And now for something completely different:

The difference between Nashville C&W and what I prefer to call 'Folk Rock' rather than all those other things...other than 'Swamp Music' and Blues....

Let's use "Copperhead Road" mostly because it's been stuck in continuous loop on head radio, since last week. At least it's a song I like, but I used to like a couple of other ones too that got stuck that way too many times. The 'rift' and the rhyme-scheme get stuck and I get inventive... Or go nuts.

When that happens, I start making up words and maybe another song will creep in and insist on becoming part of the lyrics. Ergo...you get this in my head:

My names' Connolly Pettimore
I got married to the widow next door.
She plied me with cookies and apple pies
Then she did me in with them big green eyes
And when she bent over, well I said, "My, my..."
I'm a lucky man so I've been told:
We're livin' in a house on Copperhead Road.

But then of course heartbreak, infidelity, stealing pickups and dogs ensues and...oh and cryin' in your beer. "There's tears in ma beer over youuuuuuu....." Because these are the songs C&W artists write who've been married 5 times in the last 12 years and just got married ag'in.

:wink:

I like the 'Folk Rock' a whole lot better, luv Swamp Music and Electric Blues.

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #458 on: July 11, 2016, 09:03:42 PM »
There are some songs from every genre that are great.   Bluegrass, Rock, hard Metal, Country, Punk and even the odd occasional RARE rap song.   Mainly cause that rare one has some actual singing in it somewhere.  Like Hunter Beard's "When You Come Home".  The womans voice is so beautiful!   Well, so is Dolly Parton's.  Even though she scares the crap outta me.  OK found some old files to play with!  Kewl!    :cool:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
« Reply #459 on: July 11, 2016, 11:27:43 PM »
There are some songs from every genre that are great.   Bluegrass, Rock, hard Metal, Country, Punk and even the odd occasional RARE rap song.   Mainly cause that rare one has some actual singing in it somewhere.  Like Hunter Beard's "When You Come Home".  The womans voice is so beautiful!   Well, so is Dolly Parton's.  Even though she scares the crap outta me.  OK found some old files to play with!  Kewl!    :cool:

Oh yes, there are but what I said is those are the ones I like the best of all of them. If you want to get right down to it, Lou Reed was doing 'rap' in "Walk on the Wild Side":

"Sugar Plum Fairy came and hit the streets, lookin' for soul food and a place to eat...and the colored girls sing....du-ta-du- blah-blah. " I even know the words - all of them, I think....

And Blondie was doing it in "Rapture' long before anyone else that I know of:

"Hi-Fi Freddy told me everybody's fly. DJ's spinnin' I said "My, my. Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashé no deux (or some such)....and the Man from Mars stopped eatin' cars - and now he only eats guitars!" Head full of useless things as well.

Those were both great rap songs because they had a story to them. They weren't what you hear now. Far more sophisticated. Beck with "I'm a Loser" was another early rap song. Sure, there's a few I like but it's because of why I said. I like songs that tell stories or make fun of something, like Beck. A lot of people do. Especially ones where it's an allegorical story. Or Bjork who is sublimely weird and almost ethereal at times. Do you remember Link Wray and the Wray-Men? I watched rock and roll be born on that new fangled television thing, and it was amazing. I grew up with it, totally. AM/FM, reel to reels, vinyls all, and tape cassettes, 8 Tracks, CDs. My favorite song when I was a little girl was "Wild Goose" by Frankie Lane. Still like it :winks:   

participial