thelufias

2024 May 12 08:16:47
 :mom4: To All The Moms

vash99

2024 May 10 09:11:17
i figured i would try here first who better to ask than fellow artists

Radkres

2024 May 10 09:37:32
Have You tried Google? "Hands on head photo" and see if that triggers your memory?  :peek:

vash99

2024 May 09 11:19:09
im trying to recreate a pose from the 80sits a simple 2 quarters headshot of a woman loking at the camera both arms bent in front of her hands on her head for the life of me i cant remember how to do the pose

thelufias

2024 May 07 08:31:06
Gooooood Morning to everyone....:java: Ahhhhh

vash99

2024 May 06 10:50:12
a little

Radkres

2024 May 06 06:11:19
is it getting any better?  :coffeemaker:

vash99

2024 May 05 10:56:57
i tried during the infusion it didnt help

Radkres

2024 May 05 02:50:17
Have You Tried a Warm Compress  to see if that helps?

vash99

2024 May 05 01:28:09
no swelling just feels like my forearm is on fire

thelufias

2024 May 04 09:23:33
It's SATURDAY MORNING...Cartoon time with Marvin the Martian

thelufias

2024 May 04 08:24:32
I use to use Ice Packs to lesson the pain and swelling. Worked well.

vash99

2024 May 03 11:29:10
had chemo today this time the iv went into my hand so now my hand and arm hurts as a result of the chemo i can't wait till this is done

Fafnir

2024 May 03 06:33:28
 :c-cat:

thelufias

2024 May 02 09:17:51
It's a Rainy May Day in May..A good day for :java:

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Can We Keep Him? © Sydneykeys

TOTW

Soccertods Netherlands © Pommerlis

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Author Topic: Ask dRaCX  (Read 17116 times)

Offline dRaCX

• Draconis Hominus
  • Working It
    • ShareCG
Re: Ask dRaCX
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 11:38:21 PM »
[moving my question to this room]

Hey dRaCX, you're pretty knowledgeable about Win system stuff.   I think TL may be too.  But, why would the Poser help desk *REQUIRE* someone to put ALL the external Runtimes in a folder that exists in the Drives Root Directory.  With NONE of the Runtime base folders located in the Drives Root Directory?  The guy there tells me all this hooplah about errors and bad stuff and I *MUST* do this in order for him to continue.

I'm wondering what it is you expect me to say here?! You may not like my answer!

What you are asking has less to do with a Windows issue more a Poser one! As I have explained more times than I dare count; just because you've done the same thing for years doesn't mean you done it correctly for that number of years. It just means you were extremely lucky not to have run into a problem during that time frame.

Understanding that HD's have different internal serials and process data by means of unique signatures lends insight as to how data corrupts on machines with multi drives. Not to mention the dozen or more other problematic issues that can result from use of multi drives in which a single program must access.

As for the Poser issue? Well, if I'm to be honest then I must agree with the person from Poser Help and Support! I could list over 20 reasons why, but I don't like typing to see my fingers rattle! LOL

But I will say this....If you are thirsty and want a glass of water...why would you drive 4 miles down the road for a bottle of water when you have a well in your back yard?! That's what you are expecting Poser to do! Sooner or later it will become problematic!

:java:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 12:25:19 AM »
Additionally, Windows 7 was a different operating system than XP. XP did not have Public Folders, neither did Win95 or 98. Certainly none on floppy machines that were tiny in comparison to now. That changed with Win 7 when suddenly there were Public Folders for working networks in offices and studios.

Things are different now than they were.

Good analogy on the water. I'd say "How long does it take to download something from a server through 3-4 mirror sites, versus one direct server? It's less of a 'haul' and less energy wasted. When I did have my runtime in my Program files under the name of the original developers of what I had, Poser had no trouble finding things and loading them right. I put them in the Public folders and now I'm going to move them because it makes more sense to me and may even solve my issue with my python scripts not being found, even though they ARE in the root runtime folder for 2014.

That is if doing the firewall thing doesn't make it work when I turn it on tomorrow. Then I'll know if that was it or not. One thing at a time and wait for results.

Even though those broken up runtimes are smaller, they still take a while to load when you select them because meanwhile, Poser's trying to load the version content as well as whatever you open to use. Then it has to go looking for it elsewhere. It's a drag on the system.

It IS easier to keep track of what's what that way and what is where - Yes, it is. I don't disagree there. But that was the way it worked best for me personally - in the Program files in a different folder from the program.

None of those extra run-times should have the base root stuff in them, only the needed library files but not pythons, etc. So you really shouldn't have any base root runtime stuff like WACROS and python scripts in them. Only in the version folder of Poser in the Program files. That's where the python scripts go for the other runtimes as well.

That's what I was told. I just haven't gotten around to doing it because I'm rather over building, rebuilding, etc. for this year. Had enough to last me at least 5-6 years in the last 6-7 months. I'm like "Ehhh! I don't wanna do that anymore." 

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
  • Recipient of "Grumpy Old Man" award.
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 12:33:20 AM »
I drew a blank.  I was wondering what you (or anyone reading) might have I could fill that blank with.   Yeah I already have the WHAT to do.  My blank that could use filling is WHY.   
About a Root Dir.  Having used Linux, and studying FAT and FAT32 and NTFS while in Linux, some things became startlingly clear.  The "Root" is simply an area in the allocation tables where we may begin creating file and folder names.  Folders are actually just filename prefixes.  What we are shown in Explorer in Windows is created to make it a little easier on our puny little brains than the true filenames.  Which is all I ever did see in early distros. 
The right and wrong of this.
I Extend your analog.  A HD's content is a lake.  I am using the whole south shore of the lake to place some 48 docks to draw water at, and you're saying I can do Poser a favor by digging a well that draws on the contents of that lake from 48 locations through a single well where those 48 docks used to be.  The well is the new folder I haven't created yet.  The docks are the 48 base folders I have 48 Runtimes inside of. 
See, RUNTIME is already IN a folder in the Root.  I am asking why yet another folder is needed where no one has ever used one I am aware of.  This is somehow making it easier for Poser to work. 
The reason I am yammering on about it is I don't think I have explained what i AM doing understandably.  I believe I AM already keeping Poser happy.  Its why I attached the little screencap of the Folders hunk of Explorer.  It don't list all the folders I've created in the Root Dir.  It does show, I think, that there are folders created into which the Runtimes are put.

I went through a lot of computers and gear before I finally bought a HD.  PC's with dual floppy drives leave something to be desired.  Storage space. 

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 01:00:59 AM »
Additionally, Windows 7 was a different operating system than XP. XP did not have Public Folders, neither did Win95 or 98. Certainly none on floppy machines that were tiny in comparison to now. That changed with Win 7 when suddenly there were Public Folders for working networks in offices and studios.

You're not talking about the "My Horseshit" folders are you?  You're talking about the USER folders.   That was ushered in with User Account Control, UAC for short.  Another problem M$ added.  And still another is Defender.  THAT one will work against your wishes even if you believe you've disabled it.  There is NO disabling it.  These things started with Vista.

Things are different now than they were.

Good analogy on the water. I'd say "How long does it take to download something from a server through 3-4 mirror sites, versus one direct server? It's less of a 'haul' and less energy wasted. When I did have my runtime in my Program files under the name of the original developers of what I had, Poser had no trouble finding things and loading them right. I put them in the Public folders and now I'm going to move them because it makes more sense to me and may even solve my issue with my python scripts not being found, even though they ARE in the root runtime folder for 2014.

Scripts, PY's only go in the Poser program folders.  Not into the content. 

That is if doing the firewall thing doesn't make it work when I turn it on tomorrow. Then I'll know if that was it or not. One thing at a time and wait for results.

Even though those broken up runtimes are smaller, they still take a while to load when you select them because meanwhile, Poser's trying to load the version content as well as whatever you open to use. Then it has to go looking for it elsewhere. It's a drag on the system.

It IS easier to keep track of what's what that way and what is where - Yes, it is. I don't disagree there. But that was the way it worked best for me personally - in the Program files in a different folder from the program.

None of those extra run-times should have the base root stuff in them, only the needed library files but not pythons, etc. So you really shouldn't have any base root runtime stuff like WACROS and python scripts in them. Only in the version folder of Poser in the Program files. That's where the python scripts go for the other runtimes as well.

That's what I was told. I just haven't gotten around to doing it because I'm rather over building, rebuilding, etc. for this year. Had enough to last me at least 5-6 years in the last 6-7 months. I'm like "Ehhh! I don't wanna do that anymore."

There is no physical separation of data on HD's.  Lots of stuff is just constructs for our minds to grasp easier, like what we see in Explorer. 

This whole thing of creating ONE folder to dump ALL my BASE folders (each containing one Runtime) into is simply not making sense to me.
It is not more economical, it is actually making every n(ame) of files/folders longer and putting the actual data even further from the actual data bus. 

AHHHHHHH!  It's 1am, I've been up and at em for 19 hours now, so nothing is making clear sense at the moment.

Thanks for the response and help dRaCX and Ray, and g'nite!

McG. 

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 01:05:51 AM »
Before I zonk out Ray, I want to mention that though I have a few dozen Runtimes at the moment, after burning them all to BD-R's I will combine stuff like the three Places runtimes into one, the three V4 Clothes runtimes into one, and so on.  In the end I think I will be down to maybe 7 or 8 larger Runtimes.  But will not put it ALL into ONE runtime again! 

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 01:22:49 AM »
Yes, that's what I was talking about the UAC User folders that were Public.

I'm not a programmer but I've worked with them beta testing quite often - 'break it'. So I'd try and then tell them what and sometimes they'd explain things to me, but I don't understand everything about it.

Whatever any one may say about their problems, someone still can't know everything about your system without actually looking at it. All the programmers and techs I ever knew or worked with were like that. So no I don't know all the technical stuff like dR does. But he can't even know without seeing it. I'm mostly using common sense and analysis methods.  If my syntax disagrees that's why. It only means fish don't climb trees.

I think that's what he's saying more or less, as I gather it but it's more like 'make a boatyard' (main folder) and put all your piers (sub-runtimes)  in the boatyard (main folder). Draw from that instead of linking them through the tool on the library folder from different folders in the wherever they may be. I could be misunderstanding though. In Poser, a runtime is not necessarily the whole thing but whatever libraries you need for the data in that particular one. There should only be one root runtime in the program itself that is the controller of everything else and how it gets handled.

Even though Poser has to work on a Windows or MAC system, it's still a different entity that only works on that system with vaguely similar architecture that all functions together. All programs are like that aren't they? But is it "apples and oranges" to use the same syntax for both - or equate one to the other? I don't know. Maybe it is. I'm not a programmer. I never claimed to be. I've just worked with them and learned some things, which I guess makes me wise enough to be dangerous. That's why I leave the answers to him but as moderator, it's part of my job to help people with things. I do the best I know how.     

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 01:26:02 AM »
That's what I meant that the python files go in the runtime for the program. Sorry I don't speak the whole language correctly for you.

JFC

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 01:43:02 AM »
The other thing I didn't mention, though I think dR covered it, was how come all the previous versions of Posers Library have no problem with this set up and just suddenly PP 11 Library does?   Analogies notwithstanding and all. 

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 01:49:26 AM »
Why do you ask if you already know you're going to disagree with anything we say? Why? So you can pick everything apart? Does that make you feel better when we're only trying to explain in our own ways to try to help or answer? Why do you do that?

I'm just a girl. Boop....trying to do the best I can. I'm not as brilliant as you or anyone else here, clearly, so why ask? That's what I feel like after this every time, nearly every day now. Why you do that? You're not making anyone feel warm and fuzzy, in spite of pats on the head. I don't need this.

Offline dRaCX

• Draconis Hominus
  • Working It
    • ShareCG
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 07:07:45 AM »
I drew a blank.  I was wondering what you (or anyone reading) might have I could fill that blank with.   Yeah I already have the WHAT to do.  My blank that could use filling is WHY.   

As I suspected....I did tell you why, though I used very simple language as I have always done so as to not confuse regular folk who don't know all the technical terms. Is it that you misunderstood what I said? My gut is telling me that isn't the case here. You feel that your way is the right way no matter what anyone says...not even those who created the tools you so love playing with...lol

I myself have used Linux, in fact I still do! Loved Redhat and SuSe 10.1 In fact, I don't know any programmer who hasn't used Linux! I would often analyze hdd's from windows systems on the linux machine because linux can translate characters that windows cannot.

If your way works best for you, then by all means...continue doing it! But upon the event that a problem does arise later on down the road...remember my words, they may become most helpful!

:java:

participial