Fafnir

2024 Apr 24 07:38:45
 :havesum:

thelufias

2024 Apr 24 07:13:00
As long as it's not a lot...Chocolate always helps :havesum:

Pommerlis

2024 Apr 24 04:42:47
Second surgery done last monday. Does chocolate help?

thelufias

2024 Apr 23 10:19:20
It's Tootsie Tuesday...Enjoy the day

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Lyra © Prae

TOTW

Teddy © Egzariuf

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
  • Total Members: 245
  • Latest: Loogtao
Stats
  • Total Posts: 99688
  • Total Topics: 12311
  • Online Today: 819
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Welcome, and how may I help you?

Come visit with all in here, have some coffee or your favorite beverage, and have loads of fun. The bar staff and keeper are always here to fill your orders. This is our gathering place where we will share greetings, pass secrets, gossip, and enjoy each other's company.  

Jherrith has agreed to fire up the grill on the weekends with some of his tasty specials.....and the COFFEE will always be hot and fresh, especially with Fafnir and his bevy of waitresses.

Coffee Shop, by Zeus Fx

Author Topic: Work entertainment  (Read 172547 times)

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
  • Kianna will see you now
    • Jherriths Lair
Re: Work entertainment
« Reply #2070 on: January 28, 2021, 08:57:25 PM »
And went out to do the upgrade of adding the additional combiner cavity.

Anything that could go wrong did, twas about a 50/50 split but still it was frustrating.

Oh and by the way they have been having some problems as the system goes out of range, well found it out while adding the extra combiner can as it did it while I was checking power output.

Had two of the new repeaters cause the problem every time they became the rest channel.  I so love the concept of someone else being responsible for fixing the deficiency since this is a code plug problem not a mechanical problem.

Continued to go downhill as the reason I was out there was for adding legacy repeaters and in the meantime they realized they screwed up by missing an IP site connect repeater and guess what not considered at all in the project.

The original plan was to bring over both legacy repeaters, what did I get when I arrived  ????? yep one of the legacy and the IP site connect  one ... well, this is going to be fun and once more it is someone else's job to make it work after I cable it up correctly.

The other oversight which is on me was the thought that I could repurpose cables from my original install to cover the legacy equipment ... I lost that bet ... big time. Well I was able to banjo string one set for the legacy channel and got it back on line. So good deal on that part of the night. The IP site connect was an after thought on their part so all is fine that it is not working at the moment.

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Fighting Slave of Gor by John Norman

Offline McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
  • Recipient of "Grumpy Old Man" award.
« Reply #2071 on: January 29, 2021, 04:56:06 PM »
Either you are being set up for a Pratt fall or your bosses have really been screwing the pooch big time lately.Everyone has some form of a "Galloway'ed!" in their work life.  We/I had/have  !!SALES!! in charge of the company!   See Renderosity and/or DAZ3D for reference samples.   :o\  Every company that has done that I have worked for, has folded.  Died, dead n buried, no more.

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #2072 on: January 29, 2021, 06:41:32 PM »
I didn't sell the system, nor had a hand in writing the code plug for the new repeaters.

It is all on the university radio staff. They never contracted us to do any of that work. Worse still they never or only had one or two meeting with the company for the implementation of the project, all other meeting we internal to them.

So they are the ones that fell on their face in my opinion

Now they are crying about this and that not working, oh to add insult to injury they need to send us the IP site connect code plug so an intermodulation study can be done to see if that freq will play nice with the others. Which they have not done yet :iminnocent:

Bottom line, although getting it up and running properly was on my to do list, if the system still had a bug in it that only came out while I was upgrading it.

:shrug: Don't know what to tell you ... I was in charge of installing the system and doing a forward and reflected power test on the antennas, not optimizing the system.

Not trained for it nor am I being paid to become one. Granted I would not mind being more knowledgeable and capable, but I would like to hear it in black and white with a pay incentive and then an actual detailed plan to train to that level of competence.

So try and throw me under the bus, however the problem does not fall under my purview or on my list of things to do as the customer did not involve the company in the planning and development of the upgrade.

And ye ole boss is all about getting paid for the work done, which considering we have been screwed by others, I am not surprised why they are not going out of their way to help fix the deficiencies.

It should be entertaining to say the least going forward,

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #2073 on: January 29, 2021, 07:08:55 PM »
Todays install was even more entertaining. A job I had walked and quoted a year ago .... seriously last year in January.

Now they have at last decided to go forward and install the radio.

The problem for me is I was told a consolette was being installed, what I got was a control station. Told in the beginning it was to point to another office, turns out the truth is it needs to be pointed at the county system.
Which that was a teeth pulling point, where do I point it, give me a compass reference ... no one could give me one ... :thud: ... WTF ... and since I use my phone to make calls and take pictures of my installs only, just how am I to manage that trick?

At any rate my other installer and myself got the install completed all today, except for some strapping on the roof. Could have finished it but the customer said sorry you got to be picked up and gone by 3:00 as that is when we go home.

:thud:

So have to go back to install four straps and do the forward and reflected check :sigh:

However there was one other issue that the helper pointed out. The base that I could not get to attach properly was due to it being the wrong one, sale rep problem not mine. :tearlaugh:

The good news is that the install which I had quoted for two guys for two days was done in one day. Well, minus the details mentioned above which can be completed by me in half a day. So calling that a win.

Offline RodS

• A.S.S.O. (Attic Special Security Officer)
  • Ranking poster
  • Wizard of Weird...
    • Rod's Lair
« Reply #2074 on: January 29, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »
I'm back in the house.. And after reading for just a few minutes here, makes me sooooooo glad I'm retired and don't have to deal with all that work nonsense.

I retired in September of 2017, and haven't looked back. No money, but damn, it's nice to stay up 'till 3 AM and sleep 'till noon! :java:   Please don't throw hard things at me.... My vines have tender grapes!  :tearlaugh: 

Seriously - it's good to be back!
If all is not lost, why can't I find it??  :thud:

Offline McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
  • Recipient of "Grumpy Old Man" award.
« Reply #2075 on: January 30, 2021, 05:00:22 AM »
Hey great seeing you RodS!   

Work.  I miss the actual work.  It was good, enjoyable, fulfilling.  That feeling of accomplishment with every job done was nice.    Plus, I really miss the old work bench and shop, with general maintenance machines and parts storage all around it.   Never had time to sit down in a chair.  Never really thought about that part.  Loved having to think it all through and have my hands ON the work.  That feels good, yaknow?   Guess its why I always keep a carry bag of small tools and a box of medium ones with me in the house.  And a bunch of computer type parts, a couple old cases.   Fun stuff!

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #2076 on: January 30, 2021, 07:57:34 AM »
I don't so much mind the work or stupidity that is raised to new levels, on a regular basis as this thread is my vent and gets me through it with little to no difficulty.

Beside the fact that what I do does pay it back to the community in spades as it affect "public safety" getting assistance to those in need ... calling that my payback.

Damn I have to turn the anime on early as the neighbors are playing something I guess is considered music where they come from, all it does for me is annoy. Fortunately we have plenty to choose from :tearlaugh: "Lucky Star" was this morning's winner.

Offline RodS

• Ranking poster
  • Wizard of Weird...
    • Rod's Lair
« Reply #2077 on: January 30, 2021, 12:04:50 PM »
Oh, you get to listen to that s##t too...  :whack:  Whether you want to or not.. Let me guess.. It's base-heavy, and the "lyrics" are repetitive and carry all the writing skills of a baboon ingesting fermented bananas.  Am I close?

We have a tribe of those a few houses east of us. You have no idea how many times I've asked the Universal Power to drop a small meteorite directly on their heads. Morons...

But yes - you are one of those unsung heroes keeping our public safety infrastructure intact. Thank you, good sir!  :grenade:

Offline RodS

• Ranking poster
  • Wizard of Weird...
    • Rod's Lair
« Reply #2078 on: January 30, 2021, 12:11:33 PM »
Hey great seeing you RodS!   

Work.  I miss the actual work.  It was good, enjoyable, fulfilling.  That feeling of accomplishment with every job done was nice.    Plus, I really miss the old work bench and shop, with general maintenance machines and parts storage all around it.   Never had time to sit down in a chair.  Never really thought about that part.  Loved having to think it all through and have my hands ON the work.  That feels good, yaknow?   Guess its why I always keep a carry bag of small tools and a box of medium ones with me in the house.  And a bunch of computer type parts, a couple old cases.   Fun stuff!

Hey, McG! Good to be able to hang out again!

In some ways I miss it - the last assignment I had was pretty sweet - working at a children's' hospital system wit a couple good guys. Like J said, it was rewarding being able to do something to benefit the community. Not sure I'd want to be working in a hospital environment currently, but they do have some pretty stringent safeguards in place. Just had lunch with my old work buddies a couple weeks ago, and they are doing fine.

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #2079 on: January 30, 2021, 12:24:05 PM »
Oh, you get to listen to that s##t too...  :whack:  Whether you want to or not.. Let me guess.. It's base-heavy, and the "lyrics" are repetitive and carry all the writing skills of a baboon ingesting fermented bananas.  Am I close?

We have a tribe of those a few houses east of us. You have no idea how many times I've asked the Universal Power to drop a small meteorite directly on their heads. Morons...

But yes - you are one of those unsung heroes keeping our public safety infrastructure intact. Thank you, good sir!  :grenade:

Fortunately there were no lyrics