Fafnir

2024 Apr 24 07:38:45
 :havesum:

thelufias

2024 Apr 24 07:13:00
As long as it's not a lot...Chocolate always helps :havesum:

Pommerlis

2024 Apr 24 04:42:47
Second surgery done last monday. Does chocolate help?

thelufias

2024 Apr 23 10:19:20
It's Tootsie Tuesday...Enjoy the day

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Lyra © Prae

TOTW

Teddy © Egzariuf

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
  • Total Members: 245
  • Latest: Loogtao
Stats
  • Total Posts: 99688
  • Total Topics: 12311
  • Online Today: 819
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Welcome, and how may I help you?

Come visit with all in here, have some coffee or your favorite beverage, and have loads of fun. The bar staff and keeper are always here to fill your orders. This is our gathering place where we will share greetings, pass secrets, gossip, and enjoy each other's company.  

Jherrith has agreed to fire up the grill on the weekends with some of his tasty specials.....and the COFFEE will always be hot and fresh, especially with Fafnir and his bevy of waitresses.

Coffee Shop, by Zeus Fx

Author Topic: Work entertainment  (Read 172539 times)

Online Radkres

• The Rad Hatter
  • Attic Icon
  • "Nullius in verba"
Re: Work entertainment
« Reply #1570 on: July 13, 2020, 08:24:36 PM »
 :iminnocent: :whatthe:
Ghostbusters - Don't Cross The Streams

Offline McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
  • Recipient of "Grumpy Old Man" award.
« Reply #1571 on: July 14, 2020, 02:03:55 AM »
Yuh it might splash!   :tearlaugh: :rowrow: :explode: :shock:

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
  • Kianna will see you now
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1572 on: July 14, 2020, 06:04:05 AM »
Well, time for another day in the life. Most of yesterday was nothing but planing since apparently nothing of the sort was done to begin with, seriously here you go 12 brand new Aruba switches just go ahead and replace them.

Uh even I know better then that as in aren't you supposed to coordinate with the rest of the centers first before just rolling over resources to another site or were you just going to say get it done and just do it?

The guy I report to said what are they thinking and stopped that nonsense right away especially after the FST looked at the config in the new switch and compared it to the old switch and had a :ummm: moment. Just think the guy on the phone was wanting me to load a config file into a switch and test it for him.

Whoa nellie, that is not happening one that is way above my pay grade and two this is a federal switch for ICE. I may have clearance to be there and wander about doing work, but I damn sure do not have the skill set (technically I do) to work on a system level on an Astro P25 Federal Master site.

Methinks someone was smoking crack yesterday.

At any rate after an all day affair of fact finding and gathering the powers that be think they have it sorted, we shall see when I get started. First thing that needs to be done and I am not certain that this should be on my to do list but all the cabling that is currently plugged in needs to be audited as to accuracy of the label for port number, then is it on and is it active. Before they even start rolling resources to the back up Master site.

Then and only then do I get to start the knuckle dragging remove and replace task. Which apparently the FST is incapable of doing, or why would I always get called back to do those tasks. Can't be my charming personality :tearlaugh:  or maybe it is that lack of skill when moving stuff and running new cable that one you can actually get to it and read a label on it and two it is not ran a s a banjo string from switch to switch. Maybe it is because I make up all those lovely cables for them and when handed off they are taped and number on both sides so when installed you have the means to find the other side. :thud:

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Fighting Slave of Gor by John Norman

Offline McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1573 on: July 14, 2020, 08:47:24 AM »
Experience.   He is a hard but gifted and effective teacher;  the pupil almost always learns.  And lives!

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1574 on: July 14, 2020, 08:10:48 PM »
Yep wound up doing the cable audit, seriously what the hell was the FST doing .... putzing about on programming the switches. Why do I word it like that, well, since it took him four hours to get the first two switches ready to be installed .... you tell me.

We were supposed to start the cut over at 11:00, I had grounds pulled off and since the devices I was to remove and replace were supported by shelves I had all of the screws removed. Here comes the fun part, someone forgot that since all of these devices are recessed in the cabinet and there were two switches to be removed but four to go back in, what is missing? Yep, additional brackets to recess the extra two switches. Managed to pull two sets out of my :waveass:

Well, as mentioned I was ready to go at 11:00 however the powers that be drugged their feet for another hour, before I could get started. Losers

Finally got the go ahead to go for it at last and started nailing it. By the time I got to the second switch of the first stack and the FST says I need you to join in this conference call to update as to you progress, I said I don't have time to chatter, I have work to do ... he didn't like that as less then two minutes he came back and said they really need you on the call, I said then stand there put it on speaker and let them natter on.

All, I can say is those guys are ever so frelling slow on the uptake and having to repeat myself multiple times is for little children that do not understand English.

Based on how they were acting on the phone and the questions being asked it certainly lends credence to an observation that was made to me a month ago in regards to how long was it going to take to install the new system at the Post office. We said probably three days plus another day or two for clean up and testing. Could have heard a pin drop.

Guess some places have been getting the run around when work is scheduled to be performed. We get in and get it done instead of milking it. By we, I mean all of the guys, although I think that some times I might be a overbearing because of trying to get as much done as possible in a day. Yes, we do take time to eat and stay hydrated all day long. But we do not play around, we get in and get it done.
Must be all that construction experience I have from my past (20 years) enables me to see the finished install in my mind and I know what is the sequence of events to make it complete.

I have a feeling that the other guys still do not have that ability although I have tried to instill that mindset in them.

At any rate I guess I surprised the people on the phone because I was already past the moving and bring back on line of the Border Router. Had the GGSN moved up, along with Gateway Router 1 & 2 moved up also, plus grounded and never unplugged or powered them down. Had the first set of switches installed and grounded and powered up and running, even had the GBIC links installed and showed connectivity.

And yes, had to repeat that just shy of three times before they even understood where I was at ... :sigh:

At any rate once I got rid of those idiots, I could get back to work, and pressed on till done. Oh by the way the FST finally got the second of core lansw ready to be installed ... what the hell, why is it taking him so long?

Got everything moved for the first set of switches and then the second phone call, oh by the way we are not seeing the redundant link ... uh :duh: the second set of switches has not been installed or cabled. (mutters under breath "morons")

But the real fun is that they inform us that of the GBIC's need to be installed in this fashion. Guess what ... not written down in yesterday's outline ... :rat-atat:

"asshats"

I did eventually finish with the worst of the upgrade and installation of the other devices slated for today's migration. Then had to wait on ye ole genius idiots on the phone to say that yes they can see everything and it is ready to be rolled back to our site. The real funny bit was once again they had to do the 20 questions as to what work had been completed and did it get wired in this fashion. :thud: I swear these idiots must be used to dealing with kindergartners doing install work.

I find it insulting to get the 20 question grilling over what work has been completed. I swear, it is written out, how complicated could the work be to finish?

In my mind not one tiny little bit ....

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1575 on: July 14, 2020, 08:17:36 PM »
Sorry about the extra long rant, something to do with only getting a break long enough to eat a sandwich I had packed, and then it was 6:00 PM when driving home so everyone else at the shop has a evening meal at a normal hour and I am driving home still, yes this happens to all of us on more then one occasion but I do not live in the past or the future and it is today that I am dealing with, I was trying to make a phone call and I get ignored and receive a text reply "I'm eating dinner"

Must be nice.

Offline Wizzard

• Wizard of Odd
  • Working It
  • Lurker in the dark, with a torch.
« Reply #1576 on: July 14, 2020, 10:28:57 PM »
Did you text back "Thanks for volounteering"?
THen don't respond to them till the morrow.
>8 D
Cheers and take a rest and o-sake break.
Hey Don't be mean, remember.. no matter where you
go,
There you are.
Buckaroo Banzai

Offline McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1577 on: July 15, 2020, 04:56:06 AM »
I like two little words.

You're

Fired

Eat THAT A-H!

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1578 on: July 15, 2020, 05:51:28 AM »
Did you text back "Thanks for volounteering"?
THen don't respond to them till the morrow.
>8 D
Cheers and take a rest and o-sake break.

Better still I said "Driving" which I was and never said another word, then again he didn't bother either so :shrug:

Offline McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1579 on: July 15, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »
You work with some jerks, J.   Ya figure ways to get on with Life anyway, in spite of them. 
 :coffeemaker:

participial