Fafnir

2024 Apr 24 07:38:45
 :havesum:

thelufias

2024 Apr 24 07:13:00
As long as it's not a lot...Chocolate always helps :havesum:

Pommerlis

2024 Apr 24 04:42:47
Second surgery done last monday. Does chocolate help?

thelufias

2024 Apr 23 10:19:20
It's Tootsie Tuesday...Enjoy the day

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Lyra © Prae

TOTW

Teddy © Egzariuf

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
  • Total Members: 245
  • Latest: Loogtao
Stats
  • Total Posts: 99678
  • Total Topics: 12311
  • Online Today: 819
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Welcome, and how may I help you?

Come visit with all in here, have some coffee or your favorite beverage, and have loads of fun. The bar staff and keeper are always here to fill your orders. This is our gathering place where we will share greetings, pass secrets, gossip, and enjoy each other's company.  

Jherrith has agreed to fire up the grill on the weekends with some of his tasty specials.....and the COFFEE will always be hot and fresh, especially with Fafnir and his bevy of waitresses.

Coffee Shop, by Zeus Fx

Author Topic: Work entertainment  (Read 172501 times)

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
  • Kianna will see you now
    • Jherriths Lair
Re: Work entertainment
« Reply #890 on: December 30, 2019, 03:47:03 AM »
Was within 7

Am at 3093

Now on to better news two day work week :woohoo:

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Fighting Slave of Gor by John Norman

Chiron

« Reply #891 on: December 30, 2019, 06:55:28 AM »
Uh oh, apparently I've been away for quite a while... had to peruse the previous 4 pages in order to decrypt at least partially the last one! :lostme:

Well Doc, consider yourself lucky that you can still count your books! :winks:
Last time I tried and faced such an ordeal at my place, after a couple of days I had to swallow my frustration and desist: firstly because at my age the chance to see the end of the job was negligible; secondly because something weird hiding amid the books might bite off my hand; thirdly because every time I checked off a book I couldn't resist leafing through it (but just a little), and you know all too well how this story ends... (see below :smile: )

I asked myself how the hell could so much printed material come in unnoticed and find a place on the shelves (and on the tables, on the nightstands, under the beds, in the kitchen cupboards, on my desk, in my wife's jewelry box, in the cellar, virtually in every corner of the home).

I have a few tentative answers still awaiting proof:
- weakness of character - no matter how firm my resolution, I never managed to get out of a bookstore empty-handed. The same goes for the wife. Nothing to do, incurable.
- too many sadistic friends - what shall we get Chiron and Chironess for Christmas? Well, they like books...
- physiological inability to get rid of a book - regardless of its quality, once you read a book it becomes a part of yourself. Giving it away would be like giving away a piece of your soul.
- delusion of omniscience - once you close a book you think you'll retain its contents forever. Any attempt to disprove that will only result in reading that book again to recover the forgotten info.
- too small a home - not a realistic answer actually: whatever the size of your home, you'll eventually fill it with books to the ceiling. It's only a matter of time.
Would your personal experience support any of the above? :winks: :luvbooks:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #892 on: December 30, 2019, 09:17:59 AM »
Uh oh, apparently I've been away for quite a while... had to peruse the previous 4 pages in order to decrypt at least partially the last one! :lostme:

Well Doc, consider yourself lucky that you can still count your books! :winks:
Last time I tried and faced such an ordeal at my place, after a couple of days I had to swallow my frustration and desist: firstly because at my age the chance to see the end of the job was negligible; secondly because something weird hiding amid the books might bite off my hand; thirdly because every time I checked off a book I couldn't resist leafing through it (but just a little), and you know all too well how this story ends... (see below :smile: )

I asked myself how the hell could so much printed material come in unnoticed and find a place on the shelves (and on the tables, on the nightstands, under the beds, in the kitchen cupboards, on my desk, in my wife's jewelry box, in the cellar, virtually in every corner of the home).

I have a few tentative answers still awaiting proof:
- weakness of character - no matter how firm my resolution, I never managed to get out of a bookstore empty-handed. The same goes for the wife. Nothing to do, incurable.
- too many sadistic friends - what shall we get Chiron and Chironess for Christmas? Well, they like books...
- physiological inability to get rid of a book - regardless of its quality, once you read a book it becomes a part of yourself. Giving it away would be like giving away a piece of your soul.
- delusion of omniscience - once you close a book you think you'll retain its contents forever. Any attempt to disprove that will only result in reading that book again to recover the forgotten info.
- too small a home - not a realistic answer actually: whatever the size of your home, you'll eventually fill it with books to the ceiling. It's only a matter of time.
Would your personal experience support any of the above? :winks: :luvbooks:

We are a touch worse, my car cannot go past a bookstore with out pulling in and then getting out empty handed is an exercise in futility. Yes, incurable.

Inability to get rid of a book, absolutely as no one will give it a better home or treat it properly except myself. Add to the part of having read it once it is no longer able to depart said residence.

The only delusion is that I could have sworn I had that in my library, then get lost for hours trying to find it only to realize that I never had it to begin with, get a new copy and return home only to find it tucked away in a corner.

We have a wee bit of time before that will ever be a home with the home. Although 20 bookcases is eating up the available wall space rapidly, the beauty is that they are currently all single stacked book cases with no double stacking ... yet.

As to how it gets in without being noticed, I will have to blame it on Professor Chronotis in Shada w/Tom Baker as the Doctor.

After he upends a briefcase of books and papers on a dining table. "Excuse the muddle, creative disarray."

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #893 on: December 31, 2019, 06:29:41 PM »
Well, what a wonderful start to my day, got all the way to work before I realized that I did not have tee backpack with me (it has my lap top in it) so had to turn around and go all the way back home to get it and then drive back to the shop. :sigh:

Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps.

And what an absolute slow day that had no pressing work that needed attention, such as the rest of the repeaters for the cruise ships, why because the fair haired project manager did not come in again today, turns out he is sick again :thud: damn youngsters.

Had but one bit of excitement a consolette came in from one of the city police departments because it was overheating.

Well swapped out the fan and set it to running and listened to traffic on it for a while and after a couple of hours yes, it still overheated again. Well, ran it back through the front desk office lady to order a new power supply.

Bonus was the other office lady ordered pizza for the entire shop.  :hny schultz 02:

Well, the only thing left for me to do was to go back to work on my tests and syllabus for next fall semester. :iminnocent:  Yes, I keep the files and book with me just in case I get a moment.

Completed two more exams and answer keys, plus tweaked a couple questions for correct verbiage.

And we are now off till the 6th of January

Online thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #894 on: January 01, 2020, 01:21:50 PM »
I suspected it was quiet at your work since you were chatty in here :tearlaugh: :tearlaugh:

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #895 on: January 02, 2020, 05:23:46 PM »
Well, seriously surprised was back at doing inventory for the library and am currently getting into the manga section.

Just grabbing at random and entering the details and got to the series titled

Princess Resurrection

Interesting bit is I only have seven volumes, however there is supposedly more, did the research, yep there are more and all in a language I can not read :sigh:

The real fun bit is the quote on the inside front cover

That is not dead
which can eternal lie
and with strange eons
even death may die

Offline Wizzard

• Wizard of Odd
  • Working It
  • Lurker in the dark, with a torch.
« Reply #896 on: January 02, 2020, 06:30:57 PM »
A quote from "Call of Cthulu" if memory doesn't betray.
Sounds like an interesting read.
Cheers
Hey Don't be mean, remember.. no matter where you
go,
There you are.
Buckaroo Banzai

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #897 on: January 02, 2020, 06:47:26 PM »
You are absolutely correct, which obviously is another volume in my collection volume #1062

Princess Resurrection is a seven volume manga with a 24 episode anime to go with it.

Offline Wizzard

• Wizard of Odd
  • Working It
  • Lurker in the dark, with a torch.
« Reply #898 on: January 02, 2020, 06:54:19 PM »
As long as they weren't destroyed ny flood and hurricane, I have all Lovecrafts boockes as well as Derleth and Dunsany, the trio for the Cthulu ancient olde ones stories.
Somewhere I have a boocke by Blocke that detailed how they corresponded to create the mythos.
Cheers.... Readers Unite!
Hey Don't be mean, remember.. no matter where you
go,
There you are.
Buckaroo Banzai

Online Radkres

• The Rad Hatter
  • Attic Icon
  • "Nullius in verba"
« Reply #899 on: January 02, 2020, 07:11:26 PM »
Lot of Manga today is going Digital. Makes it hard to get them all in Paper.