Fafnir

2024 Apr 24 07:38:45
 :havesum:

thelufias

2024 Apr 24 07:13:00
As long as it's not a lot...Chocolate always helps :havesum:

Pommerlis

2024 Apr 24 04:42:47
Second surgery done last monday. Does chocolate help?

thelufias

2024 Apr 23 10:19:20
It's Tootsie Tuesday...Enjoy the day

Fafnir

2024 Apr 22 05:20:09
 :havesum:

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Lyra © Prae

TOTW

Teddy © Egzariuf

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
  • Total Members: 245
  • Latest: Loogtao
Stats
  • Total Posts: 99653
  • Total Topics: 12311
  • Online Today: 876
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Welcome, and how may I help you?

Come visit with all in here, have some coffee or your favorite beverage, and have loads of fun. The bar staff and keeper are always here to fill your orders. This is our gathering place where we will share greetings, pass secrets, gossip, and enjoy each other's company.  

Jherrith has agreed to fire up the grill on the weekends with some of his tasty specials.....and the COFFEE will always be hot and fresh, especially with Fafnir and his bevy of waitresses.

Coffee Shop, by Zeus Fx

Author Topic: Space Weather  (Read 155280 times)

Offline Aelin

• Great Priestess of the corridors
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • archaeologist-cheerleader of Attic
Re: Space Weather
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2014, 04:29:03 PM »
A touch a femininity for box-office  :tearlaugh:
It's a good film, with humour. But Mire but fall on Paris here  :tearlaugh:
Check FRM for great products

Online thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »
:tearlaugh:  Yes it did, didn't it .....   Good Picture today on the BING daily photo.  A Bridge in France...but one that I haven't seen before over a Valley.  I'll see if I can find the name of it....but it's a WOW photo.

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2014, 05:37:05 PM »
Few people realize that asteroids and comets have the potential to be far more deadly than any atomic bomb or any volcano. From WikiP and to wit re the Chicxulub impactor:

"Researchers at the University of Glasgow dated rock and ash samples from the impact to 66,038,000 ± 11,000 years ago.

The impactor had an estimated diameter of 10 km (6.2 mi) and delivered an estimated energy equivalent of 100 teratons of TNT.... By contrast, the most powerful man-made explosive device ever detonated, the Tsar Bomba, had a yield of only 50 megatons of TNT ... making the Chicxulub impact 2 million times more powerful. Even the most energetic known volcanic eruption, which released an estimated energy equivalent of approximately 240 gigatons of TNT ... and created the La Garita Caldera, delivered only 0.24% of the energy of the Chicxulub impact."

Not to mention, they obviously haven't read Revelations or if they have they're still waiting for a 'dragon' to show up in the sky. Rolls eyes.

Then again, what're you going to do about it if one does hit us? Not much.

Online thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »
You are so right.....  But as you said...unless they come up with better tracking and ways to divert....we might as well open up an umbrella for protection because it will do as good as anything else we now have  :ahhhh:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
You are so right.....  But as you said...unless they come up with better tracking and ways to divert....we might as well open up an umbrella for protection because it will do as good as anything else we now have  :ahhhh:

We don't often 'discover' them coming far enough away to have time to do anything about them. We had a whole week on this last one. If one were to be 'blown up' well we'd just end up with (as Aelin put it) 'babies' or worse destructive 'teenagers' of medium size and we would have absolutely no way to predict where they'd go, or worse yet there's always the return trip. With them it's definitely 'What goes around, comes back around."

I think it's interesting this one DID 'have a baby'. What caused that to happen? Is anyone asking? What if a rather large one that was going to miss us decided to spawn a 'child' of considerable size?

We're too busy pouring money into and making more money off of blowing each other up to be bothered with developing a decent Early Detection system. There are some other space cameras going up soon though that may help out.   

Online thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2014, 06:40:07 PM »
Normally it means something bounced into the main mass and a piece splintered off.  Which means something else is close to us also.  But not big enough to spot.  At the speeds they travel it doesn't have to be big to cause a splinter. 

And I agree on your analogy.  Why worry about space rocks killing us when we can do the job better on our own.

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2014, 06:45:58 PM »
Normally it means something bounced into the main mass and a piece splintered off.  Which means something else is close to us also.  But not big enough to spot.  At the speeds they travel it doesn't have to be big to cause a splinter. 

Well, that was my thought too - that something else must have hit it and caused the 'baby' one. But what?

Online thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »
From Spaceweather.com

METEORITE SKEPTICISM: Reports are circulating of a meteorite strike in Nicaragua on Sunday, Sept. 7th. Because the timing coincides with the flyby of asteroid 2014 RC, some reporters have suggested a link. We are skeptical. The crater outside Managua looks more like it was dug by a backhoe than excavated by a high-energy meteoritic explosion. Also, no streak of light corresponding to a meteor was actually observed. Stay tuned for updates on this developing story.

Online thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
And something new:

MORE ASTEROID NEWS: Now that 2014 RC has passed, another even weirder asteroid is approaching Earth's neighborhood. 2002 CE26 is a binary asteroid consisiting of a primary space rock 3.5 km in diameter and a secondary approximately one-tenth as wide. What's weird is, radar data suggest that the secondary space rock might have a moon of its own. Alberto Quijano Vodniza of the University of Narino Observatory in Colombia photographed the triple system streaking through the constellation Pegasus on Sept. 2nd:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:24 PM »
Hmmm, according to the report here the people nearby heard a blast and it registered on their 'equipment'  - don't know if that was a seismometer or not. I can't really tell if the 'impact crater' they show in the video is an artist's conception or the actual one. It may be an artist's conception - since the rest of the video seems to be. But there is still the blast they supposedly heard.

This new one will be just over a million miles from us, so that's good. That is pretty weird though - a 'binary asteroid' and the smaller one having a 'moon'.