Fafnir

2024 Apr 24 07:38:45
 :havesum:

thelufias

2024 Apr 24 07:13:00
As long as it's not a lot...Chocolate always helps :havesum:

Pommerlis

2024 Apr 24 04:42:47
Second surgery done last monday. Does chocolate help?

thelufias

2024 Apr 23 10:19:20
It's Tootsie Tuesday...Enjoy the day

Fafnir

2024 Apr 22 05:20:09
 :havesum:

vash99

2024 Apr 20 10:45:19
i am it was chilly here to

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Lyra © Prae

TOTW

Teddy © Egzariuf

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
  • Total Members: 245
  • Latest: Loogtao
Stats
  • Total Posts: 99592
  • Total Topics: 12310
  • Online Today: 685
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Welcome, and how may I help you?

Come visit with all in here, have some coffee or your favorite beverage, and have loads of fun. The bar staff and keeper are always here to fill your orders. This is our gathering place where we will share greetings, pass secrets, gossip, and enjoy each other's company.  

Jherrith has agreed to fire up the grill on the weekends with some of his tasty specials.....and the COFFEE will always be hot and fresh, especially with Fafnir and his bevy of waitresses.

Coffee Shop, by Zeus Fx

Author Topic: The Pet Shop  (Read 61658 times)

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
Re: The Pet Shop
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »
Do the sides of the dish come up 90° from the bottom of the bowl or do they curve upward and outward to some degree? I'm betting it's the later.

The dishes that don't spill have sides that go straight up or actually get a little smaller diameter toward the top than the flat base is.

Just because the bowl is heavy when full doesn't mean it's immune from spilling. It's basically the structural design of the bowl that keeps it from spilling, or in the case of stainless bowls a square wire frame to sit it in that keeps it from spilling. If the sides are curved upward, the cats can rock it and tip it.

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 10:28:55 AM »
Here Puce makes nothing with water, except drinks.
But Giro loves to sit before the bowl and wait wait wait. It's like if she is thinking before :tearlaugh:

Lol...my cat does the same thing as Giro. She sits and stares at the wall for awhile then drinks.

J, if you go to   chewy.com   and type 'water bowls' in the search bar, you will see all the different sorts like I was saying. The white embossed bowl that says 'water' on it is similar to the ones I use. Most all the ones with rounded bottom edges can theoretically get dumped.

Aren't we glad they don't have opposable thumbs?

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
  • Kianna will see you now
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 11:11:09 AM »
Do the sides of the dish come up 90° from the bottom of the bowl or do they curve upward and outward to some degree? I'm betting it's the later.

The dishes that don't spill have sides that go straight up or actually get a little smaller diameter toward the top than the flat base is.

Just because the bowl is heavy when full doesn't mean it's immune from spilling. It's basically the structural design of the bowl that keeps it from spilling, or in the case of stainless bowls a square wire frame to sit it in that keeps it from spilling. If the sides are curved upward, the cats can rock it and tip it.

Not curved per se, more like a slight angle outward of maybe five degrees. (larger at the top then the bottom, very slightly)

Like the idea of maybe finding a base to enclose it around the bottom to improve the stability

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Fighting Slave of Gor by John Norman

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
Some pretty cool selections they have in there, will have to wait till my next paycheck to avail myself of one. Tis the beginning of the month for me and have already allocated this check just past to the money grubbing parasites.

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
Not curved per se, more like a slight angle outward of maybe five degrees. (larger at the top then the bottom, very slightly)

Like the idea of maybe finding a base to enclose it around the bottom to improve the stability

Yes, a sturdy wire-frame would be of great help in stabilizing it. I like that Dog Water bowl in the sort of wrought iron frame.

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2019, 11:51:45 AM »
Indeed that one does look very promising ....

Online Agent0013

• Agent Double-0-Hiccup
  • Attic Icon
  • Keep Looking Up!
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2019, 02:31:56 PM »
Haven't seen them turn the food dish over yet, or try. They are usually to busy scarfing it down to mess about like that  ...

The water dish is flat bottomed so that much is good, it is stainless steel and heavy "eh" sort of, the stone I put in there today will allow me to gauge how sturdy a bowl I will need to look for, it is just weird to see them tap the side or the surface of the water.. Not certain why they are doing that well, maybe it is to see where the surface of the water is before they drink. Not certain, I find it unusual, but then again theoretically I am human and my vision and senses are tuned differently.
When a cat taps the surface of the water, I think it is because they are wondering who that is that is staring back at them from in the water dish. Water can often act as a mirror, especially when there are no ripples on its surface. Of course there is the condition of lighting which if it is bright, you get a stronger reflection from the water. Dimmer lighting allows for less reflection.

I'm thinking this because I know how lots of cats get when they see their own reflection in a mirror. Just do a search on YouTube "Cats Reacting to Their Own Reflections". You'll see how that can be an issue. It's really quite funny to see.
DAZ Studio, Bryce, Poser, Wings 3D, Howler, Blender, PSP, Hexagon, MSO PowerPoint & Word, just a few of the programs I use.
:i-beback:

Online Agent0013

• Agent Double-0-Hiccup
  • Attic Icon
  • Keep Looking Up!
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
Lol...my cat does the same thing as Giro. She sits and stares at the wall for awhile then drinks.

J, if you go to   chewy.com   and type 'water bowls' in the search bar, you will see all the different sorts like I was saying. The white embossed bowl that says 'water' on it is similar to the ones I use. Most all the ones with rounded bottom edges can theoretically get dumped.

Aren't we glad they don't have opposable thumbs?
We have a water dispenser type, and i put it in a type of frame to stop the tipping that Buster Boots likes to do. Somehow he figures that out too, and tips it anyway. As soon as we discover a spill we have to get it cleaned up immediately. Otherwise our floor will rot through. I'm still trying different solutions to that problem, but so far he has solved every puzzle I create! Cookie Baby and McCartney don't do that with the dish.
DAZ Studio, Bryce, Poser, Wings 3D, Howler, Blender, PSP, Hexagon, MSO PowerPoint & Word, just a few of the programs I use.

Online thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 02:41:51 PM »
My cat must be odd then.....he doesn't care about his reflection.....he needs a water park to play with his toys in.....

Online Agent0013

• Agent Double-0-Hiccup
  • Attic Icon
  • Keep Looking Up!
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 02:58:05 PM »
My cat must be odd then.....he doesn't care about his reflection.....he needs a water park to play with his toys in.....
Cats have their own personalities. I'm sure you know that. What one cat will do, others in the house may not. My cat Cookie Baby will push stuff off a table or desk, while staring me in the eye! When Pop was alive, she would do that with the TV remote. We had to replace it three times in two years. Itty Bitty never did anything like that. Cookie has taught Buster Boots and McCartney that trick though. I think she does it to get a certain type of attention, which I call negative, but she obviously thinks it's good.

At least they aren't cookie cutter cats, all acting the same way! That would be boring indeed.

participial