FA Community Gifts

The time has started for gathering goodies for the gift giving that starts in October.....Here is the link to read about it.

Participants
Aelin -- Both
sidherose -- Hallow
Agent0013 -- Both
CathyY -- Both
Dreamer -- Both
Llola ane -- Both
M-Callahan -- Both
ali_sen -- Hallow
MilosGulan -- Hallow
Noshoba -- Both

OFW -- Both
Napalmarsenal -- Hallow

Forum Directory

Voting Booth

Voting Booth

Click image to go cast your vote,
 then go
 here
===> 2019 voting thread!
to post it in the forum!

Award Info

Votes Need --- Award

10,000 -- Platinum Award
     5,000 --- Gold Award
     2,500 --- Silver Award
     1,000 --- Bronze Award
        300 --- Pewter Award
        100 --- Copper Award

2019 Voting Awards

100 Votes 300 Votes 1000 Votes 1000 Votes 5000 Votes 5000 Votes

Donations

We have many special projects and every now and then a Special Cause that requires your generous help.

There are times when we do a collection to help a member in need of assistance and all those proceeds go directly to that member.

All donations of what ever size are WELCOME.

Thank you.

Featured Art

Winter

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW
Wokfu © JVRenderer

TOTW

Millie © Fafnir

Toon It

Welcome to Runtime Town 07 © Aelin

Monthly Winners

August COTM Winner

Layla with Hat Trick © Sidherose

Contest Information!

~Monthly Competitions~

September CONTEST 

Elient ~ 12th Annual Magical School Daze ~ Fantasy High ~ Sept 2019 Contest ~  

Album Located HERE

Eleasis ~ Highsun~ and the ~ Eyes are the windows to the Soul ~  August 2019 Contest
Winners have been announced.
DETAILS HERE

~ September 2019 Challenge of the Month (COTM)~

"The Hour of the Nurse"

Details are HERE

Album located HERE

~Weekly Competitions~

Weekly Contest Sponsors

Sponsor Showcase

Our monthly "Challenge Of The Month (COTM)" winner gets a surprise sponsor each month

Site Skins!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2019, 06:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 313871
  • Total Topics: 15641
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 526
  • (November 04, 2018, 06:34:33 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Partnered Sale

has an offer for you!  You get 10% off any order -- valid until December 31, 2019
 ... use this coupon code: FAC1019

Tell you friends about this offer too so all can save.

Welcome and do follow me.

Come visit with all in here, have some coffee or your favorite beverage and have loads of fun. The bar staff and keeper are always here to fill your orders.

This is our gathering place where we will share greetings, pass secrets, gossip, and enjoy each others company.  

Jherrith has agreed to fire up the grill on the weekends with some of his tasty specials.....and the COFFEE will always be hot and fresh. Especially with Fafnir and his bevy of waitresses.

The usual suspects © Dreamer

Author Topic: 2019 Coffee Shop and Gardens  (Read 105574 times)

Dreamer, Noshoba, Fafnir, CardinalBiggles and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Attic Icon
  • Hump-te-dump-te-DUM-dum-dum-dum!
Re: 2019 Coffee Shop and Gardens
« Reply #1520 on: February 10, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »
You probably do have some - somewhere there. You know about their different tails, right? The raven's is kind of diamond shaped and the crow's is more square.

I love watching them play on the long branches in the summer, bouncing them up and down from mid-branch. Whee!!!

Yeah, cool stuff!   Gets me to thinking about "Fun" and the kind of mind it takes to simply Play and have Fun.   There are cats and dogs, they have FUN, well Parrots do too.  But we know they're really smart birds.   So there's the Raven, and clearly they have Fun too.   Then I see young barely fledged Turkey Buzzards playing all through the spaces between power lines in a towns power distribution yard.  Transformers and gobs of lines all through the place.  And the young buzzards would fly circles around one line or other, they chose them.  They flew around the wires with their wings parallel to the lines, and faced the same direction all the while.   I got pics of them but like the guy shooting that video said "Didn't have a movie camera back then!".   It's ok, as at least I got to see it first hand.  My sitting there in my Jeep didn't bother them at all.    We humans seem to be amazed because we see something we don't expect at all.    But it seems the creatures have been doing things like this all through the ages.   When we DO see or hear about it, yeah, it's like Oh Wow look at THAT!   They CAN do it, so, why NOT do it!  LOL!   Yeh, flavor me impressed y'all!

McG. :grave: :java:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
« Reply #1521 on: February 10, 2019, 03:12:38 PM »
They are amazing creatures for sure.   I just learned something watching this clip.   They tend to mate for life.   Then a few years ago I got to see some up close in a breezy setting in New Mexico.  At Russels Truckstop in Fact, on I-40 just a few miles from the Texas/New Mexico state line.   It was where I discovered their feathers are simply very shiny, sleek not slick and they are BIG.   I've talked with you about the huge Ravens I saw in New Mexico, and I am still impressed with these birds.   I am thinking they are a pretty special kind of smart.   Very keen smart.

I think the Ravens down in that area are extra big. We had some visit our camp one morning down close to Grand Canyon. They probably eat pretty well down there.

I had a rescue one once that I was just taking care of until his wing got better. Nothing was broken. He was just bruised up, I think. His temporary name was Wizard and he let himself out of his cage when he was all better. Went out one morning to feed him and he was gone. He had been trying to undo it a few times, so it wasn't really a surprise. He sure loved raw corn on the cob! I'm sure that's where he went when he got out. There was a farmer's field full of corn about 3 blocks away. I'm sure it was calling. Lol.

Ravens are at least as smart as a large cross-section of parrot type birds. Not all but a lot of them.

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1522 on: February 10, 2019, 03:15:24 PM »
Do Turkey Buzzards fly around in a circle like Vultures do?

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #1523 on: February 10, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »
We Shall Stand

Offline dRaCX

• Draconis Hominus
  • LabRats
  • Working It
« Reply #1524 on: February 10, 2019, 03:55:57 PM »

Yes, they do! Gallia County has an over population of Turkey Buzzards and you see them flying in circle patterns searching for food all the time.
 :java:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1525 on: February 10, 2019, 04:05:22 PM »
Actually, Turkey 'Buzzards' are Turkey Vultures. It's a regional thing I guess. Don't see a lot of them down here but I have seen some up in the mountains.

Vultures fly in what is called a "kettle" around in circles on thermals and they bob up and down like they're 'boiling' or it's called 'a boil'. They get up really high so they can spot their food or smell it...because it's already been killed. I've only ever seen one vulture 'kettle' and it was pretty cool. They do bob up and down like boiling. :smiley:

Then hundreds of them will gather together and fly in a kettle as a big staging area for taking off on migration. I guess they're all wishing each other well along the way :winks: 

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1526 on: February 10, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »
Yes, they do! Gallia County has an over population of Turkey Buzzards and you see them flying in circle patterns searching for food all the time.
 :java:

I was thinking they probably did.  Thanks for confirming that! :thumb_up:

They must keep the place pretty clean - 'that way'.

Offline dRaCX

• Draconis Hominus
  • LabRats
  • Working It
« Reply #1527 on: February 10, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
Here's one for ya. In some places in the US in recent years, people have found frogs in puddles of their own guts. It's as if for some reason the frogs just exploded and in this case, that's exactly what happened!

The interesting part however is what caused it. 'Ravens' caused them to explode! It seems that some Ravens have developed a taste for Frog Liver.

They can remove the liver with surgical precision but in some cases they puncture the frogs lungs causing air to build up in the frogs abdominal cavity until it explodes.

Guts go flying everywhere! Yummmy!
 :crazysmile:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1528 on: February 10, 2019, 04:22:50 PM »
Here's one for ya. In some places in the US in recent years, people have found frogs in puddles of their own guts. It's as if for some reason the frogs just exploded and in this case, that's exactly what happened!

The interesting part however is what caused it. 'Ravens' caused them to explode! It seems that some Ravens have developed a taste for Frog Liver.

They can remove the liver with surgical precision but in some cases they puncture the frogs lungs causing air to build up in the frogs abdominal cavity until it explodes.

Guts go flying everywhere! Yummmy!
 :crazysmile:

To each their own, I guess :shrug:

At least they aren't as picky as the Irish Kelpie who'll eat everything BUT an Irishman's liver. :winks:

Offline McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Attic Icon
  • Hump-te-dump-te-DUM-dum-dum-dum!
« Reply #1529 on: February 10, 2019, 04:37:02 PM »

Sure do.   Yup!   Have both all around the Houston area.   

McG. :grave: :java:

Poser and Daz

Click image to go to Daz to read all about the program.

Daz Studio--Free

attic_468x175.jpg