FA Community Gifts

Well tis time to start the Christmas gathering so go HERE read about it.

So far we have 13 gifts gathered

Participants
Aelin
Agent0013
CathyY
Dreamer
Llola Lane
M-Callahan
ali_sen
MilosGulan
Noshoba
OFW
earwenM
Summoner
Prae
CardinalBiggles

Forum Directory

Voting Booth

Voting Booth

Click image to go cast your vote,
 then go
 here
===> 2019 voting thread!
to post it in the forum!

Award Info

Votes Need --- Award

10,000 -- Platinum Award
     5,000 --- Gold Award
     2,500 --- Silver Award
     1,000 --- Bronze Award
        300 --- Pewter Award
        100 --- Copper Award

2019 Voting Awards

100 Votes 300 Votes 1000 Votes 1000 Votes 5000 Votes 5000 Votes

Donations

We have many special projects and every now and then a Special Cause that requires your generous help.

There are times when we do a collection to help a member in need of assistance and all those proceeds go directly to that member.

All donations of what ever size are WELCOME.

Thank you.

Featured Art

Winter

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW
Graffiti Angel © Vash99

TOTW

Sunny Provence © Heitaikai

Toon It

Cruisin © beliasxxx

Monthly Winners

October COTM Winner

Jekyll & Hyde © CathyY

Contest Information!

Monthly Competitions

Uktar ~ The Rotting The Colors of Fall ~ November 2019 Contest

Details Found HERE

Album Located HERE

October Contest

Marpenoth ~ Feast of the Moon ~ Magical Halloween Night
Winners Announced HERE

~ November 2019 Challenge of the Month (COTM)~

"The Hidden Rooms of the Attic"

Details are HERE

Album located HERE

~Weekly Competitions~

SAOTW

TOTW

TOON IT

Weekly Contest Sponsors

Sponsor Showcase

FRM

Site Skins!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2019, 03:03:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 319249
  • Total Topics: 16001
  • Online Today: 301
  • Online Ever: 526
  • (November 04, 2018, 06:34:33 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Partnered Sale

has an offer for you!  You get 10% off any order -- valid until December 31, 2019
 ... use this coupon code: FAC1019

Tell you friends about this offer too so all can save.

Author Topic: NEWER = BETTER?  (Read 231 times)

Offline Chiron

• Centaur of the Universe
  • 1000 Grand Roller
  • We age, we don't mature
NEWER = BETTER?
« on: August 10, 2018, 05:17:01 AM »
Yes, you guessed right: it's a rhetorical question. And my answer, that a few decades ago would have been a big YES, is now a cautious "well, perhaps but let me check first..." that more often than not after checking turns to a big disappointed NO.

I'm not talking of cars, I'm talking of software.
You bought a car a few decades ago, you got a sturdy contraption you could (and most of the times must) attend to by yourself - change the oil, top off the other fluids, check the brakes, change the plugs... - and flat out would barely make 90 mph. You buy a car today, you get an elegant tin can padded to the brim with undocumented electronics, a complicated toy you must take to the shop even to change a bulb; but that toy easily makes 125 mph, warns you that something's amiss before it's too late (well, mostly...), has air conditioning and needs servicing only once a year.
Across those few decades you've lost something but got several convenient features in return.

With the software it seems to be quite another story.
You bought a new version a few decades ago, you could be virtually sure that almost all the old bugs had been fixed, some useful features had been added, and it was 100% backwards-compatible; you could install it and throw the previous version in the bin without giving it a second thought.
You buy a new version today, install it warily, try it out and feel instantly lost: it doesn't look a bit like its old self, most of the familiar buttons and controls are still there but not where they used to be, and a few of them have been rechristened with new fancy names; a couple of features you had grown fond of are gone, and in exchange a bloom of new options have sprouted that you'll hardly use in a lifetime - some of them for they're plainly useless, a few because it would take half a lifetime to find out what the hell they really do. Some functions you'd desperately need are still missing, and most of the old bugs are still there.
Then if you grit your teeth and decide to go on anyway, it soon becomes apparent that you'll better restart from scratch: not only is the new version vastly incompatible with your previous experience, in some cases also your previous work is good for the bin because it's in a now obsolete format the brand new software wouldn't recognize.

Moreover today there are several alarming cases where you just cannot buy the new version, all you can do is rent it by the month and keep paying as long as you want access to your stuff (conveniently stored somewhere in the cloud rather than in your computer)... and for the privilege of using that software you have to grant willy-nilly the manufacturer the right to use all your work and stuff as he sees fit - contractually, 'like this or forget it'.
 :sad:

Now ask me again why for so many years I've been patiently saving multiple copies of all my installables on external disks for just in case, and why after duly testing the latest versions I often decide to stick with the old, sturdy, simple, controllable ones.

Soundly based as it can be, I understand that mine is a rather extreme point of view. Would anyone have a milder perspective to offer, or perhaps a reasonable explanation why things must go this way?
"I can resist everything but temptation" (Oscar Wilde)

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Kianna shall see you now
    • Jherriths Lair
Re: NEWER = BETTER?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 05:34:51 AM »
Nope, not milder I agree 100% per cent with the observation. New software these days is decidedly worse in a large percentage of cases and down right :OMFG: in others.
"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Fighting Slave of Gor by John Norman

Offline parkdalegardener

• Root Master
  • High Roller
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:12:16 AM »
Part of it is the need to have the latest and greatest product as a consumer. The ability to brag about your possessions in this "social" age.

The company side is the same. Get it to market before someone else does. Early bird gets the worm as the saying goes. If you don't get it out, all your quarterly income is at risk 'cause some other company will. After all; users want the latest and greatest to brag about.
Software delivery has changed. Used to be that you tested till you went gold. Printed the CD or whatever the delivery medium was. Now you cannot get physical copies of anything. It is faster and easier to kick out functional betas and send out push hot fixes as necessary. Way cheaper for a company and it gets a product to market faster. More income each quarter.
Cloud software rental (subscription) is another money grab supposedly to stop piracy and make expensive software usable by simple folk for a cheap price. Just pay as you go. Horse puckys. We spent 30 years getting away from the server-client bondage that was Big Blue and the like. Your productivity and privacy was at the mercy of your IT department and the software that your boss allowed you to use. Those days are returning because young folk don't remember the struggle. They want instant gratification and the client server live in the cloud model allows for that to take place.  For companies it is a gold mine of data to file, cross reference, and correlate. Money. The bottom line. The life blood of the quarterly report to shareholders.

Offline Chiron

• 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 07:41:28 AM »
Still there's a certain cause-effect relationship between cows slaughtering and milk shortage...

According to what you say (and I wholeheartedly agree with) it amounts to choosing the egg today over the hen tomorrow, which would require either an impressive shortsightedness bordering on plain idiocy, or a reasonable certainty that the world won't last longer than another generation.
Which one would you bet on? :lostme:

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 09:26:45 AM »
Everything said in here is correct....but unfortunately....it has been said many times over.....by those before us.

"New Fangled Contraptions" is one of the terms used....

"We've done it this way for years...why do we need something new...." is another term used

Etc Etc Etc.   Getting the latest and greatest is not a bad thing at times....as long as you're not trying to keep up with the Joneses. 

And yes on the fact that new "TECH" products are not complete when they hit the market.

When you buy a new computer you will spend at least two days updating all the software that it came with...and if you're lucky...all will go smooth....I've never been that lucky.

PSP improves their software each time and gives you new tools and items to use which I do appreciate and enjoy...  And the updates they do are normally coincide with Windows updates....

But yes...it's frustrating....but nothing new about this at all.....
We Shall Stand

Offline Chiron

• 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »
Yes, I've wondered myself if it's really the software-world going down the drain or rather me.
Then again, why would the phenomenon concern only the software-world? Can it be that it's it getting younger? :tearlaugh:

PSP improves their software each time and gives you new tools and items to use which I do appreciate and enjoy...  And the updates they do are normally coincide with Windows updates....

From the fine print in their General Terms of Use:

"4.3 Licenses to Your Content in Order to Operate the Services and Software. We require certain licenses from you to your Content in order to operate and enable the Services and Software. When you upload Content to the Services and Software, you grant us a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, publicly display, distribute, modify (so as to better showcase your Content, for example), publicly perform, and translate the Content as needed in response to user driven actions (such as when you choose to privately store or share your Content with others). This license is only for the purpose of operating or improving the Services and Software."

I find it rather arrogant, and honestly cannot see how this could be used to improve the Services and Software. And you?

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 01:16:19 PM »
I'm certain the younguns having us do 150 updates before we can even use a new computer proves who is running our world now :tearlaugh: :tearlaugh:
We Shall Stand

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »

From the fine print in their General Terms of Use:

"4.3 Licenses to Your Content in Order to Operate the Services and Software. We require certain licenses from you to your Content in order to operate and enable the Services and Software. When you upload Content to the Services and Software, you grant us a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, publicly display, distribute, modify (so as to better showcase your Content, for example), publicly perform, and translate the Content as needed in response to user driven actions (such as when you choose to privately store or share your Content with others). This license is only for the purpose of operating or improving the Services and Software."

I find it rather arrogant, and honestly cannot see how this could be used to improve the Services and Software. And you?

I agree....BUT

I've been using this program since the JASC days and many other programs with the same type of verbiage...... and to date...have not read one complaint about them doing what their terms state....and believe me....I follow all forums and FB/Tweet pages for any complaints about usage on all the programs I have....

That's why I end up with so many emails everyday LOLOL....Thankfully, by the time I get done weeding out nonsense from reality ..... I only have to go through 200 or so.....
We Shall Stand

Offline parkdalegardener

• Root Master
  • High Roller
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 02:46:02 PM »
Do I want to play games on my console? Yep

Do I want to play over their servers and matchmaking services? No

Do I want to use their cloud services? No

Do I want to do anything other than turn on my console and play a game? No

Do I want to sign their crap just to play a game? No

Do I want to play a game? Yes. Already said Yes. I wanna' play a game.

This renders all "No" answers to the above and any other questions irrelevant. That's the cost of playing a game or using any other piece of software with minor exceptions.

We had this discussion based on a different version of the same question. The personal data acquisition discussion. The cameras are watching conversation. It's all the same.

Understand that data acquisition and liability limitation are every company's goal. You supply it. You do not own your software. You are using it on a licensing agreement. You give them both when you agree to terms of usage. Non't agree, don't use. That's a good deal. You don't get that with video cameras and other such info gathering methods.

We keep saying it. You are a product. Unless you are willing to go live under a rock, beneath a forest canopy to block the spy satellites, in the middle of untracked forest in Mongolia; someone, somewhere, is in some way; monitoring you and your shit in an effort to either make something of you and your actions or to limit their liability to such. Weither by way of naked people images, political lampooning, or slanderous postings; companies want to be able to limit their association to their product or service. We are coerced into giving up the ability to do the same thing they do because we have agreed to their terms of service.

You see it works both ways for them under the same agreement. Do something that may promote the use of their product in some positive way and they may use your image, music, or missive to self promote. At no reward to you other than possibly a bit of publicity if you are lucky.

The result are "influencers" who try and leverage the info they put out about a company or product in order to receive some reward for the dispersal of data into many data streams that are mined for their data about them in the first place.

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 02:59:01 PM »
Yup....we discussed this all before and it comes down to personal preferences....
We Shall Stand

Daz

Click image to go to Daz to read all about the program.

Daz Studio--Free

attic_468x175.jpg