Chat Room

What's Up

thelufias

2024 Apr 17 10:53:32
Gooooooood Morning EVERYONE....It's Wet Wednesday...

Radkres

2024 Apr 16 02:03:49
O.o Might Talk to the On Call Nurse And Ask about it. :MARILY:

thelufias

2024 Apr 16 10:02:29
Don't let it get out of hand...

vash99

2024 Apr 15 11:30:46
my lower left side is bugging me today

Fafnir

2024 Apr 14 04:49:26
 :havesum:

vash99

2024 Apr 11 09:36:15
yeppers :c-cat:

thelufias

2024 Apr 11 09:32:52
Always great having a "Good Team" caring for you.

vash99

2024 Apr 10 10:02:05
yeah i am their a good team

DarkAngel

2024 Apr 10 07:24:44
Not sure if it is just us but we used to love a good steak and now when we get one and cook them up...they taste bland no matter what we do to them. WAAA!

thelufias

2024 Apr 09 08:07:08
Good to see them taking good care of you...and you taking care of you.

vash99

2024 Apr 08 09:43:28
got the chemo list today , 2 drugs one pill one iv twice a month

thelufias

2024 Apr 06 06:40:04
Glad you're back...Yup...Moving operating systems is not a good thing...

AngellsGraphics

2024 Apr 05 11:39:42
Glad to be back after my nasty pc crash trying to move my windows to an ssd, got rid of my windows and never transferred.  :havesum:

thelufias

2024 Apr 05 12:16:47
Don't zoom to fast...we still have Dragons flying around

Pommerlis

2024 Apr 05 11:38:44
Just zooming by saying hello!

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Fae in Pink © AngellsGraphics

TOTW

Witch of the Westmoreland © Paul

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
  • Total Members: 244
  • Latest: Jammixx
Stats
  • Total Posts: 99203
  • Total Topics: 12298
  • Online Today: 1088
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Welcome, and how may I help you?

Come visit with all in here, have some coffee or your favorite beverage, and have loads of fun. The bar staff and keeper are always here to fill your orders. This is our gathering place where we will share greetings, pass secrets, gossip, and enjoy each other's company.  

Jherrith has agreed to fire up the grill on the weekends with some of his tasty specials.....and the COFFEE will always be hot and fresh, especially with Fafnir and his bevy of waitresses.

Coffee Shop, by Zeus Fx

Author Topic: Space Weather  (Read 153927 times)

Online thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
Re: Space Weather
« Reply #1810 on: August 14, 2019, 03:11:39 PM »
One never knows nowadays.....the buck is the ruler of the world ..... was a time when people cared about people.....

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
  • Kianna will see you now
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1811 on: September 13, 2019, 05:32:09 AM »
WATCH OUT FOR THE HARVEST MOON:

Tonight's full Moon has a special name--the Harvest Moon. It's the full Moon closest to the northern autumnal equinox (Sept. 23rd). In years past, farmers depended on the light of the Harvest Moon to gather ripening crops late into the night. Post-Edison, we appreciate it mainly for its beauty.

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Fighting Slave of Gor by John Norman

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1812 on: September 13, 2019, 05:33:54 AM »
SPECTACULAR DOUBLE RAINBOW: Sometimes running out in the rain is a good idea. On the evening of Sept. 12th, Göran Strand of Östersund, Sweden, did just that. Here is what he saw:

"It was the most beautiful double rainbow I've ever seen," says Strand. "I was home when I noticed that there was some very special light outside, so I quickly grabbed my camera and went out in the rain to capture this photo."

Many people don't know it, but all rainbows are double. The bright primary arc is caused by sunlight reflecting once inside raindrops. The tall second rainbow is caused by sunlight reflecting twice. That second rainbow is always there, but often it is too dim to see against the bright background sky. This time, however, it was visible to the naked eye.
"This was a sunset rainbow," adds Strand, "and that made it extra special." Rainbows always appear opposite the sun, so when the sun is low, the rainbow is high. "Because the rainbow was visible at sunset we got the highest possible rainbow, 46° above the horizon."

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1813 on: September 13, 2019, 05:44:43 AM »
INTERSTELLAR COMET: 'Oumuamua is not alone. Another interstellar visitor appears to be passing through the solar system--and this time it's definitely a comet. Ukrainian amateur astronomer Gennady Borisov discovered the object, now named C/2019 Q4 (Borisov), approaching from beyond the orbit of Mars on Aug. 30th. Click to view a 3D visualization of Comet Borisov's orbit from NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab:

3D visual

Based on observations gathered since Borisov discovered the distant fuzzball, the comet seems to be following a hyperbolic orbit with an eccentricity greater than 3.5. This means the comet is unbound to the sun. Indeed, it is moving some 30.7 km/s (68,700 mph) too fast for the sun's gravity to hang onto it. Comet Borisov is a first time visitor to the inner solar system, and after this flyby it will return to deep space.

Comet Borisov will make its closest approach to the sun (2 AU) around Dec. 7th. Three weeks later, near the end of December, it will make its closest approach to Earth (also 2 AU). At the moment the comet is very dim, around magnitude +18. How bright it may become by December is anyone's guess.

Above: Dim and distant, Comet Borisov was photographed in the constellation Cancer on Sept. 12th by Graziano Ventre using an 11-inch telescope.

The first known interstellar object to visit our solar system, 'Oumuamua, caused a sensation when it was discovered racing away from the sun in late 2017. Speculation about its nature ranged from an alien spacecraft to a fossil exocomet. Astronomers still aren't sure what it was. Comet Borisov, on the other hand, appears to have a fuzzy atmosphere (a "coma") and perhaps a stubby tail--signs that it really is a comet.

Because Comet Borisov is still just entering the solar system, astronomers will have plenty of time to study it in the months ahead. Is it truly interstellar? What are comets from other solar systems made of? Answers to these and many other questions are forthcoming.

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
« Reply #1814 on: September 13, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
SPECTACULAR DOUBLE RAINBOW: Sometimes running out in the rain is a good idea. On the evening of Sept. 12th, Göran Strand of Östersund, Sweden, did just that. Here is what he saw:

"It was the most beautiful double rainbow I've ever seen," says Strand. "I was home when I noticed that there was some very special light outside, so I quickly grabbed my camera and went out in the rain to capture this photo."

Many people don't know it, but all rainbows are double. The bright primary arc is caused by sunlight reflecting once inside raindrops. The tall second rainbow is caused by sunlight reflecting twice. That second rainbow is always there, but often it is too dim to see against the bright background sky. This time, however, it was visible to the naked eye.
"This was a sunset rainbow," adds Strand, "and that made it extra special." Rainbows always appear opposite the sun, so when the sun is low, the rainbow is high. "Because the rainbow was visible at sunset we got the highest possible rainbow, 46° above the horizon."

That is indeed a gorgeous rainbow. Saw a very nice double one here Sunday night but unfortunately I can't see the whole thing where I am. Thanks for the 'pretty'.  :smiley:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1815 on: September 13, 2019, 12:09:57 PM »
INTERSTELLAR COMET: 'Oumuamua is not alone. Another interstellar visitor appears to be passing through the solar system--and this time it's definitely a comet. Ukrainian amateur astronomer Gennady Borisov discovered the object, now named C/2019 Q4 (Borisov), approaching from beyond the orbit of Mars on Aug. 30th. Click to view a 3D visualization of Comet Borisov's orbit from NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab:

3D visual

Based on observations gathered since Borisov discovered the distant fuzzball, the comet seems to be following a hyperbolic orbit with an eccentricity greater than 3.5. This means the comet is unbound to the sun. Indeed, it is moving some 30.7 km/s (68,700 mph) too fast for the sun's gravity to hang onto it. Comet Borisov is a first time visitor to the inner solar system, and after this flyby it will return to deep space.

Comet Borisov will make its closest approach to the sun (2 AU) around Dec. 7th. Three weeks later, near the end of December, it will make its closest approach to Earth (also 2 AU). At the moment the comet is very dim, around magnitude +18. How bright it may become by December is anyone's guess.

Above: Dim and distant, Comet Borisov was photographed in the constellation Cancer on Sept. 12th by Graziano Ventre using an 11-inch telescope.

The first known interstellar object to visit our solar system, 'Oumuamua, caused a sensation when it was discovered racing away from the sun in late 2017. Speculation about its nature ranged from an alien spacecraft to a fossil exocomet. Astronomers still aren't sure what it was. Comet Borisov, on the other hand, appears to have a fuzzy atmosphere (a "coma") and perhaps a stubby tail--signs that it really is a comet.

Because Comet Borisov is still just entering the solar system, astronomers will have plenty of time to study it in the months ahead. Is it truly interstellar? What are comets from other solar systems made of? Answers to these and many other questions are forthcoming.

Don't you have to wonder now Why? Why suddenly are we getting interstellar visitors? Are we starting to merge with another galaxy? Just a thought.

Online Agent0013

• Agent Double-0-Hiccup
  • Attic Icon
  • Keep Looking Up!
« Reply #1816 on: September 13, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »

Don't you have to wonder now Why? Why suddenly are we getting interstellar visitors? Are we starting to merge with another galaxy? Just a thought.
I think you may be correct in your speculation here. Supposedly, certain astronomers have determined that the Milky Way is currently devouring a smaller galaxy. We on Earth cannot see it because it is on the other side of the galactic center. Infrared and radio telescopes seem to have detected this ongoing collision, which has been occurring for several thousand years already. The smaller galaxy seems to have already been mostly absorbed by the Milky Way.

What astronomers used to believe to be a very rare astronomical event actually turned out to be the normal way things work in this Universe. Indeed we are headed for a collision with the Great Galaxy in Andromeda. A few tens of millions of years from now, the largest two galaxies in our local group will begin to merge. The view for whomever is alive at that time will be spectacular, to say the least. 
DAZ Studio, Bryce, Poser, Wings 3D, Howler, Blender, PSP, Hexagon, MSO PowerPoint & Word, just a few of the programs I use.
:i-beback:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1817 on: September 13, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
I recall the Thunderbirds saying something about a small galaxy in Sagittarius. I wonder if that's the one. That *would* be behind Galactic Center.

Online Agent0013

• Agent Double-0-Hiccup
  • Attic Icon
  • Keep Looking Up!
« Reply #1818 on: September 13, 2019, 11:54:35 PM »
I recall the Thunderbirds saying something about a small galaxy in Sagittarius. I wonder if that's the one. That *would* be behind Galactic Center.
That would be the right position, I would think.

Large galaxies like the Milky Way grow larger by eating the smaller ones. From what I gathered, the galaxy being absorbed into our galaxy is a dwarf galaxy no larger than the Small Magellanic Cloud.
DAZ Studio, Bryce, Poser, Wings 3D, Howler, Blender, PSP, Hexagon, MSO PowerPoint & Word, just a few of the programs I use.
:i-beback:

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1819 on: September 14, 2019, 12:35:48 AM »
This comet is apparently coming from somewhere between Cassiopeia and Perseus.

participial